According to the National Summer Learning Association and over a century of private research, the summer slide is a significant problem faced by school age children. All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer, most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer months, more than half of the achievement gap between lower- and higher-income youth can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities. Most children—particularly children at high risk of obesity—gain weight more rapidly when they are out of school during summer break, and parents consistently cite summer as the most difficult time to ensure that their children have productive things to do.
At the Boys & Girls Club of Fond du Lac it is our goal to provide a summer program for school age children that prevents the summer slide. We offer our members fun, academically focused activities that:
- Are available all summer long (June- August), five days per week (Monday-Friday), eight hours per day (9:00am-5:00pm)
- Through a partnership with the Fond du Lac School District provide academic instruction by certified teachers in the areas of reading, math and science
- Are available and affordable for all families with the Sadoff & Rudoy summer scholarship fund dedicated to those most in need
- Are both fun and engaging through activities that are hands on with at least 60 minutes or more per day dedicated to physical fitness activities
- Are led by adult paid staff members and volunteers who have specialized youth development training and first-aid and CPR certifications
- Take place in a state-of-the-art facility complete with multiple classrooms, a cafeteria, an art room, multiple computer labs, a quiet reading and study space with direct access to the YMCA indoor water park and fitness rooms, and connected to a city walking trail just minutes away from public parks
Children in the Boys & Girls Club of Fond du Lac summer programs:
- Through a generous partnership with the Fond du Lac School District and Aramark receive a nutritious breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack every program day at no additional charge
- Have access to a multitude of academically enriching and life enhancing fun summer field trips to local and statewide attractions including Miller Park, Wisconsin Dells, Milwaukee Zoo and many more
- Meet new friends through programs that are age appropriate and form lasting healthy relationships with professional adult staff members and volunteers
- Bridge the summer gap in learning (summer slide) by participating in educationally enriching, hands on, fun programs that focus on the subject areas most critical to student success in school
*The 2015 Elementary Summer Program and Teen Summer Program run June 8th through August 14th, Monday - Friday from 9am-5pm. Please check the Become a Member page for more information regarding how to sign up.